Search This Blog

3.01.2011

Instant makeover

When we moved into our house 5 years ago, I was in love with the color brown and we painted our bedroom Palm Dessert Tan by Benjamin Moore. I like it fine, but after years of brown, our room started to feel dull. I would have repainted the whole thing, except it took brad forever to paint the room initially. And neither of us felt like doing it all over again. (Yes, I actually help paint too)

I am totally into the chevron rage. I think it is so fun. So, I proposed the idea to Brad on doing a chevron wall! I thought it would give our room a little lift. I feel like it is still elegant, but now has a little kick to it. It didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would. If it weren't for the kids trying to "help," Brad could have knocked out the whole thing in probably 6 hours. We took a break and finished it the next day. Brad did all of the taping off, and then we did the painting together. There was alot of math and taping involved, and my next post, I will have Brad post the instructions exactly how to do it. I orignally was going to do the chevron stripes 2 colors lighter than the brown with a different finish, but my sister in law encouraged me to go with a cool color since the brown is warm. I'm so glad I took her advice. The beauty of it is we didn't have to spend any money. I already had left over paint from our cream hallway color. I used that, AND it matches my curtains.
I had the blue shams and comforters sitting in storage in the garage. I bought these when Brad and I were first married, and I thought the blue added a little color to the room. I took the pillows from the living room because I already have tons of throw pillows in there.
We rearranged our daughter's room and moved her rocker to our son's room. Then we took his since it was a neutral color and moved it to our room. Sure, a rocker isn't my first choice for that space, but it will do for now. It looks a little more grown up with the pillows on it. My dream chairs for that space are these. And the color of the chairs is seaglass, which are my favorite! It's a sign. :)

Hydrangeas look so elegant in a room. This was the only thing I spent money on. At Michael's right now, all flowers are half off. I already had the vase, stones, and I grabbed the lantern out of the garage.




Instructions on the chevron wall to come......

26 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! I love it. I can't wait to see how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Chevron wall looks FIERCE!!! I love it. I'm so into the Chevron thing right now too. Great job Katie & Brad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, I love it! What a fun and stylish twist on a striped wall, perfect colors too! Sharing on FB!
    xo
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing! I might have to borrow your idea. It's so fresh. Also, your mirror and chair are fabulous. I'm somewhat pattern obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading several of your posts I realize you love the same patterns I do! But you find them more than I do. Now I'm your newest follower. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks guys! your comments are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! I love the touches of blue. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing!! I can't wait to read how you guys did it...I may want that for my room since I have the same colors...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a great idea and it looks perfect! I am so using this a source of inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing!

    http://featheredflower.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. So awesome! {I already sent you an email, but I wanted you to see it in the comments, too}

    I think our styles are BFFs! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  11. i just stumbled on your blog and was reading and thinking, "wow, this girl's got really cute taste," and then i recognized the Luckett's post and wondered who was the author of this blog. really great job and i love that it's local stuff that i can find as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that comforter too cute!You are so daring doing the chevron wall Although I love pattern I cant bring myself to do anything but neutrals:( Fear of color and pattern in the home... there has to be a class for it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! What a great way to add a dose of fun to your bedroom. I'm really looking forward to your instructions :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE IT! Can't wait to hear just how you pulled it off!

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just saw this project on "Little Green Notebook" -- love it! The room looks great. Love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  16. can I ask you where you got your mirrored night stands? are they the pb ones? I want some but cant seem to find them with 2 or more drawers at a good price.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, the mirrored are the PB ones. They were expensive and I rarely pay full price for stuff, but I had wanted them forever, so we indulged. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just checked pb last night and they are sold out. You were lucky to get them! I think 400 a piece is spendy too, but apparently not for mirrored furniture with multiple drawers, they are hard to find and are much more than $400 unless you get simpler ones with one drawer and a shelf. So don't feel bad about the $ you spent :).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the wall! Chevron is my favorite. Where is the rocker from?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the wall colors.Do you happen to know what they are?

    kellycfranks{at}gmail{dot}com

    ReplyDelete

  21. great post i really appreciate this post it seems that there's a lot of interesting on this site
    i will bookmark your page for more new updates on your site. keep it up .










    Rattan Dining FurnitureRattan Tables

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...